Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NEW ZEALAND – TO CHRISTCHURCH

 

Auckland Airport

Auckland Airport

 

 

 

 

 

Golden Bay At 2:20pm I am airborne and with a window I can see New Zealand from 30,000 feet as the pilots point out various landmarks.

 

 

South Island Snow

I blink and have to turn myself upside down as I see mountain tops covered with snow as we fly southbound. The south is suppose to have sunshine not snow. Imagine if you went from New York to Florida for snow skiing.

I guess I'll have to become a Kiwi to understand what's wrong with this picture.


Xbase Hostel A NZ$7 bus fare and I am at X Base Christchurch a primarily backpacker hostel for the evening.

 

 

 

Christchurch Cathedral Christchurch Cathedral

 

 

 

 

 

Lip Luggage Lip Luggage

 

 

 

 

 

Trolley Trolley

 

 

 

 

 

Avon  River Garden Avon River Garden

 

 

 

 

 

It is cool almost cold here but for some reason I feel the need to stroll around in shorts and flip flops. Although my toes object, it's refreshing and makes me walk faster.

Woolshed Bar & Bistro promises Huge Meals and A Fun Atmosphere so I decide to take them up on it.

 

Maori Street PerformersA good walk down Manchester Street from X base but along the way a Maori group is performing outside Cathedral Center.

 

 

Soon I am having a steak that I drizzle with mint sauce and a couple of pints for NZ$19.

 

Brain Stem Shots It is a fun atmosphere as I watch bartenders artistically make various drinks and shots. A Brain Stem being a classic. Sambuca, Bailey's & Cherry Apricot for the stem.

 

Here, I meet a local tour bus driver who gives me some great tips for sightseeing tomorrow. I can’t wait!

 

If You Always Walking around I stumble on this sign which seems very applicable to life not just here but everywhere.

 

 

 

If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got! How true.

 

CHRISTCHURCH AT NIGHT

 

Bridge

Memorial Bridge

 

 

 

 

 

Cathedral At Night

 

Canterbury Museum Canterbury Museum

 

 

 

 

 

Back at Xbase, I go to bed excited about what tomorrow brings.

No comments: