Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Morocco, Strolling Essaouira

 

 

Sony 086 Arriving in Essaouria, I immediately take a liking to the area.

 

 

 

 

 

Clear blue skies and fresh Atlantic Ocean breezes blanket this city along Morocco’s western shoreline. A brief walk from where our tour bus drops us off and we enter a bustling hassle free outdoor market area.

 

 

Sony 088 Essaouira Market

 

 

I imagine you can find anything you might need here. Colorful leather slippers for men can be found from one vendor, there's a butcher shop even a fast talking super glue salesman.

 

 

Sony 091 Can you get chicken any fresher than a live one?

I just which they knew not to stick their necks out on a limb.

 

 

 

 

I am drawn to the variety of fresh fruits and give a cactus fruit a try. I am impressed when the vendor reaches below his cart full of fruit and retrieves his private reserves.  Using his skills, he prepares the fruit for me and serves it like a gracious host.

 

 

Sony 092 A papaya texture with edible seeds that's moist and sweet.

All for less than ten cents, wow!

 

 

 

 

Next, I am walking a narrow alley that opens into a small square that connects to another narrow alley. Both are lined with buildings that have bright blue shutters a left over reminder of France's presence here.

 

 

 

Sony 093 Essaouira Blue Shutters

 

 

Another street with a mixture of shops. This time two catch my attention, well ok, more like three. First, a music shop where I purchase a CD with a nice collection of African music.

Then I succumb to my sweet tooth not once but twice.

 

 

Sony 096 How can one resist a coconut layered cake or pastries loaded with pistachios, almonds or chocolates?

 

 

 

It takes nerves of steel and stamina which I severely lack when it comes to sweets.

 

 

Sony 100 However, I do get some encouragement from a local Superkid!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: