Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

South Africa, A Penny For Who?

 

A funny thing happened on my way to visit Hector Peterson Memorial and Nelson Mandela's former home in Soweto. On this particular afternoon, I notice that at most traffic intersections I am approached by disguised singing characters.

I must confess this peaks my curiosity and I begin wondering if there was something unique I missed about visiting Soweto. As I am strolling the grounds at Hector Peterson Memorial another group of these singing characters appears.

 

 

JNB Trip 218I now figure it's time that I solve the mystery like a good Chief Inspector would do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

JNB Trip 256Kato, I think these is something fishy going on in Denmark.

Girls are dressed up to look like boys and boys are dressed up to look like girls. I just hope I don't need to put on a dress to get to the bottom of this because I have nothing to wear.

Turns out my karaoke lessons are about to pay out big dividends as I join in with their singing.

 

 

“A penny for the Guy Fawkes, A penny for the Guy Fawkes, A penny for the Guy Fawkes”.

I look at my Rolex and it all comes together. It's November 5th, Guy Fawkes Day when children with a British tradition celebrate the day like Halloween in America. Although, I would say the children here might have a little bit of an edge, their treat is money.

 

 

JNB Trip 219“A penny for the Guy Fawkes”.

 

 

No comments: