Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Burma, Street Foods

 

 

SAM_1390On my walk this afternoon my destination is an Indian restaurant recommended for lunch by the staff at MGM Hotel.

From the many culinary obstacles I am encountering along the streets, I am not sure I am going to make it to my original destination.

 

 

Interesting selections catch my eye at one food stand and I take a seat on the sidewalk. About fifteen minutes later I have a whole grilled fish in front of me. With a sweet and sour flavor and crispy bones that you can eat, my dish is picked a part like it is my last meal.

For less than US$4, along with a bowl of yellow noodle soup, I have one of the most delicious grilled fish meal that I can remember in a long long time.

 

 

 

SAM_1391Grilled Sweet And Sour Fish

 

Next it is a fresh guava for desert then a mystery I have seen here among quite a few young and old men is solved.

On many street corners there are vendors that take small green leaves, brush them with a white powder, add something then tightly roll individual leaves and put them in a plastic wrapper. Turns out this is a “local chew” of sorts. Interestingly, this chew causes the lips and mouth of the user to turn a bright red.

Unfortunately, over time significant staining then eventually the lost of teeth occurs. I think I will bypass trying this local delight although having a bright red mouth would be so cool.

 

 

SAM_1396Heading towards Traders Hotel where I hope to meet up with some travelers I met earlier in the day, I don't have to go very far as by coincident I spot them in the distance walking in my direction.

Together we walk some other streets of Yangon sightseeing.

 

 

 

SAM_1402It is “Happy Hour” time and just down the street from The Strand we stop into a local restaurant.

Three good size appetizer dishes and nine draft beers later, we shell out about US$9 for the whole deal.

 

 

 

 

 

SAM_1403A Great “Happy Hour” Deal

 

 

At our next stop the beer is a little more expensive but worth it as we take in an elevated view of the city. The Shwedagon Pagoda is impressive lit up at night especially looking at it from the 20th floor of Sakura Tower.

 

 

No comments: